Wait.. did I say BAKED?? YES… you heard it right. I bake this wonderful spicy gochujang marinated韩国辣鸡肉in the OVEN. And YES, it comes outsuper tasty, tenderandMOIST. And I tested it with both chicken breasts and thighs and it works for both!! You can see all the pictures below ⬇️.
So, for a while now, I have been wanting to develop recipes where the flavors are authentically Korean but maybe the overall cooking was simpler and more modernized… because there’s just something about baking in the oven that I think makes cooking more enjoyable and less stressful (yes, even for me). You don’t have to baby it while it cooks and if you do it right, it comes out consistently good every time.
One story says that in the early 60’s Spicy DakBulgogi (chicken bulgogi) was first served at a small restaurant in Chuncheon. The restaurant had a hard time sourcing pork so they decided to use chicken meat but use similar seasoning so that guests would feel less disappointed. BTW, Chuncheon is an area where they grew a lot of chicken back then so chicken was quite cheap and readily available. And you can read how people of Chuncheon createdChuncheon Dakgalbi..
Usually, Dakbulgogi 닭불고기 is made with roughly chopped or cut up chicken meat (usually dark meat) in gochujang and then BBQ grilled on an open flame. Then it is served with variousSSAM.material and people eat it just like how you would eatKalbiorBulgogiwith all the fixin’s. Oh, BTW, I also have a non-spicychicken bulgogiversion if you’d like.
Instead of using chopped up chicken though, I wanted to try cooking a whole breast or thigh in this recipe. And I know most recipes will either do Breast or Thighs but not both. Well, but you know for us, my husband likes breast but I like thighs..so I like cooking both if possible. So there you go – follow my recipe and you can cook both breast and thigh at the same time!! But first things first..
How to Tenderize Chicken Breasts or Thighs
- wrap chicken (breast or boneless thigh) in plastic wrap (leaving enough room to spread all around)
- pound it with a heavy pan or pot (I have an all clad pot that I use) or use a meat mallet or even just pound with your fist (hit that chicken!!)
- once you pound about 2-3 times (don’t be shy, you need to really POUND IT), the breast or thigh should be nice and flat – BTW my poor fearful dog Spock have disappeared into the other room…
- See how thin a thigh has gotten!
How to bake Perfect Juicy Chicken Breasts
- 烘烤完美多汁的鸡胸的钥匙是在高温下烘烤较少的时间。Bake at 425°F (218°C) for 17-18 minutesfor good size chicken breasts (about 8 x 4 inch breast, cut crosswise into 2 thinner cuts). For smaller sizes, reduce baking time by 2-3 minutes and remember to take the smaller pieces out of the oven sooner than the bigger ones.
- 烤1分钟in the end to add even more caramelization. This is not necessary but I do it because I just love caramelized meats.
- Check doneness of the chicken by pressingthe thickest part with a tong or a spoon. If it doesn’t spring back at all then it’s not cooked. If it springs back like rubber then it’s overcooked. It should go down a bit but have slight resistance and a spring. This is something I learned at culinary school. It’s hard to explain in words but just keep practicing with meats, and you will soon develop a feel for how much meat is cooked.
- Cut chicken breast(esp. if you have big ones of 8 x 4 inch or bigger)horizontallyacross to make thinner pieces.
Forchicken thighs, you can just cut the thick parts and kind of fan it out. ***Alternatively,you can pound the chickento even out the thickness and make it more tender. Read above for more details.
- Make gochujang marinade. Add all sauce ingredients: chopped garlic, grated ginger, soy sauce, gochujang, rice wine (mirin), sugar, sesame oil, Korean red chili pepper and black pepper. Mix until well blended.
- Massage the chicken a bit with the marinade to make sure they are evenly coated.Cover and marinate for 2hrs to overnight in the fridge.
- Heat oven to 425°F (218°C).
- Line a tray with parchment paper or tin foil. Drizzle vegetable and sesame oil on the tray. Place chicken on tray. Spoon some of the oil on top of each chicken pieces.
- Bake Breasts in oven for 17-18 minutes(forthighs, you may want to煮2分钟but always check doneness) then take it out of the oven when done. You can just stop here or set oven toBroiland put chicken back into oven and broil for1 minute for extra caramelization. Let it cool.
- Sprinklefresh chopped green onions, sesame seedsand optionally add aromatic greens like Ssukgat (chrysanthemum leaves) or Kkaetnip (Perilla) on top of the chicken. These greens will add a perfect brightness to your plate.
These are Ssukgat (chrysanthemum leaves) from my garden!
Serving suggestions for Korean Spicy Chicken
- Serve with someCarrot Fried ricethat my mom used to make for our foreign guests. Sauté some finely chopped onions and carrots in oil then add rice and stir-fry a little longer. Season with salt and pepper. For people who think white rice is too bland, this is a great option. BTW, this picture has my烤箱烤韩式辣鸡大腿with a marinade that was blended in the blender which means no chopping necessary.
- 为一个healthier LOW CARB option，在床上服用Kale salad. I used a store bought mix that had Kale, Brussel sprouts, red and white Cabbage and more. Pre-toss the salad mix in a light dressing of olive oil and lemon juice. Then add a small amount of韩国萝卜沙拉for extra flavor. It was sooo good!
Well, there you have it! I started out thinking I would just do a simple plate of Korean Spicy Chicken and how I ended up with 3 different meals of both chicken breasts and thighs..I’ll never know. Hope there’s at least ONE you want to TRY!!
If you have tried this or any other recipe on my blog then pleaserate the recipe(☆☆☆☆☆ at top right of the recipe card) and leave me a comment to let me know how you like it! Every 5 star helps me a lot and I also love to hear from you!
Korean Spicy Chicken with Gochujang (Oven Baked/BBQ)
Spicy Chicken Marinade
- 2Tbspsoy sauce(jin ganjang - sempio, kikkoman)
- 2Tbspcooking sake or mirin（替代白葡萄酒+糖）
- 1TBS P.garlic(chopped)
- 1Tbspsesame seeds
- 2Tbspgreen onions(chopped)
- 1tspKorean red chili powder(gochukaru)
- 1/4tspblack pepper
- 2Tbspgreen onion(chopped)
- 1捏sesame seeds
切鸡胸肉（esp。如果你有8 x 4英寸或更大的大，则横穿较薄的碎片。对于鸡腿，你可以切割厚的零件和扇形。***或者，您可以将鸡肉捣成厚度，使其更加温柔。上面阅读更多详情。
In a mixing bowl large enough to hold the chicken, make gochujang marinade. Add all sauce ingredients: chopped garlic, grated ginger, soy sauce, gochujang, rice wine (mirin), sugar, sesame oil, Korean red chili pepper and black pepper. Mix until well blended.
Optionally, cut 1/2 an onion into thick slices. Chop green onions.
Marinate for 2 hrs to overnight in the fridge.
Heat oven to 425°F.
在烤箱烤17 - 18分钟。拿出来的oven. You can just stop here or set oven to Broil and put chicken back into oven and broil for 1 minute for extra caramelization. Let it cool for couple minutes.
- If your breasts are large (8 oz or larger) then cut it horizontally into 2 thinner pieces OR pound it down to even thickness.
- 食谱也适用于大腿 - 煮大腿稍长（20分钟左右）。
- Sodium level - the sodium level is quite high because it calculates all of the marinade but as you know, lot of the marinade is discarded
- 用白米和一些芬兰或Ssukat的芳香蔬菜服务。或者拥有它SSAM.(lettuce wraps)
- serve with quick fried rice and salad
- serve on top of salad. a crunchy salad mix or a more robust mix like kale and brussel sprouts work well. Lightly dress the salad with some olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add leftover chicken bulgogi to fried rice.